Never drain or store fuel in an open container. Always use an approved fuel storage container in order to reduce the chance of fire or explosion.
Place a dry chemical (Class B) fire extinguisher nearby before performing any on vehicle service procedures. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury.
The fuel level sending unit is integral with the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank. See Fuel Pump removal and installation in the Fuel section.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel tank, as outlined in the Fuel Section.
- Using the special tool J 45722, unlock the fuel sender lock ring.
- Slowly lift the fuel pump flange up until the quick connect fittings and fuel level sensor electrical connector are just visible.
- Disconnect the fuel level sensor electrical connector from the fuel pump flange.
Disconnect the fuel tank vent valve and the fuel filter quick connect fittings from the fuel pump flange.
- Remove the fuel pump flange lock ring (1) and fuel pump flange (2). If required, remove the lock ring from the flange.
Remove and discard the fuel pump flange seal (3).
- Squeeze the sides of the fuel level sensor retainer (2) together in order to remove the fuel level sensor.
- Remove the fuel level sensor from the fuel pump module by sliding the sensor up.
- Position the fuel level sensor into the fuel pump module and slide the sensor down.
- Ensure that the fuel level sensor retainer (2) is fully engaged with the fuel pump module.
- Position a NEW fuel pump flange seal onto the fuel tank.
- Position the fuel pump flange and lock ring over the fuel tank opening.
- Ensure that the fuel pump flange tab is aligned with the arrow on the fuel tank.
- Connect the fuel tank vent valve and the fuel filter quick connect fittings to the fuel pump flange.
- Connect the fuel level sensor electrical connector to the fuel pump flange.
- Slowly lower the fuel pump flange into the fuel tank.
- Using the special tool, J 45722, lock the fuel sender lock ring.
- Install the fuel tank.