All models use sealed wheel bearings that are pre-adjusted. If the bearing needs replacing, replace the rear wheel hub/bearing assembly.
Removal & Installation
With Drum Brakes
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Remove the plug from the drum brake actuator access hole in the backing plate. Using the access hole, install a support for the brake backing plate.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor, if equipped with ABS.
- Remove the wheel bearing/hub assembly mounting nuts.
Remove the wheel bearing/hub assembly from the rear axle assembly and brake backing plate.
- Install the wheel bearing/hub assembly to the brake backing plate and the rear axle assembly.
- Install the wheel bearing/hub assembly mounting nuts to the axle assembly. Tighten the nuts evenly, in a cross-pattern. Tighten the nuts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) plus 30°.
- Connect the electrical connector to the wheel speed sensor, if equipped with ABS.
- Remove the support from the brake backing plate.
- Install the plug to the drum brake actuator access hole in the backing plate.
- Install the brake drum.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.