REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Operate the engine at idle speed and turn ON the air conditioning system for a few minutes.
- Turn OFF the air conditioning system and the engine. Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery and the clutch wire from the air conditioning compressor.
- Discharge the air conditioning system using the appropriate equipment, as described in General Information & Maintenance of this repair guide.
- On the Civic models, remove the left front under cover and the engine lower grille cowling, then, remove the receiver from the connecting lines.
On the Accord and Prelude equipped with power steering, perform the following procedures:
- Loosen the power steering pump adjusting and mounting bolts.
- Remove the drive belt from the pump's pulley.
- Remove the power steering pump and support it out of the way; DO NOT disconnect the hoses from the pump.
- From the air conditioning compressor, disconnect the suction and discharge hoses.
When disconnecting the hoses from the compressor, be sure to plug the openings to keep dirt and moisture out of the system.
- Loosen the air conditioning compressor-to-bracket adjusting and mounting bolts/nut(s), then, remove the drive belt from the compressor.
On the Accord and Prelude, it may be necessary to remove the air conditioning cooling fan shroud and fan with the mounting frame.
- Remove the air conditioning compressor-to-bracket bolts and set the compressor on the engine support beam.
- Remove the compressor bracket-to-engine bolts, the bracket and the compressor.
If installing a new compressor, install 1 oz. of refrigerant oil through the suction fitting of the compressor.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Torque the bracket-to-engine bolts to 34 ft. lbs., the air conditioning compressor-to-bracket bolts to 35 ft. lbs. or nut(s) to 32 ft. lbs. Adjust the drive belt tension to 5 / 16 inch deflection. Charge the air conditioning system and test its performance.