REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1335cc, 1487cc and 1751cc Engines
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Place a clean drain pan under the radiator, remove the drain plug and drain the cooling system. Disconnect coolant hose(s) from the intake manifold coolant hoses.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Label and disconnect all vacuum hoses and electrical connectors from the carburetor.
- Disconnect the fuel hose(s) and the throttle cable from the carburetor.
- Remove the carburetor-to-intake manifold nuts and the carburetor.
- Remove the upper heat shield. Loosen, but do not remove the four (1300cc) or two (1500cc) intake manifold-to-exhaust manifold bolts.
- Remove the header pipe-to-exhaust manifold nuts (discard them), separate the header pipe from the exhaust manifold and discard the exhaust flange gasket.
- Remove the combination manifold-to-cylinder head nuts/washers and the manifold assembly from the cylinder head.
- Remove the intake manifold-to-exhaust manifold bolts and separate the manifolds.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- To install, use new gaskets and reverse the removal procedures. The thick washers used beneath the cylinder head-to-manifold retaining nuts must be installed with the dished (concave), side toward the engine. Torque the combination manifold-to-cylinder head nuts (in a circular pattern from the center to the ends) to 16 ft. lbs., the intake manifold-to-exhaust manifold bolts to 16 ft. lbs. and the header pipe-to-exhaust manifold nuts to 36 ft. lbs. Check and/or adjust the choke and throttle linkage. Bleed the cooling system.