The rocker arms and shafts are an assembly; they must be removed from the engine as a unit.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner housing.
- Label and disconnect all vacuum hoses.
- Remove the valve cover-to-cylinder head bolts and the valve cover.
- Loosen the camshaft and rocker arm shaft holder bolts in a criss-cross pattern, beginning on the outside holder.
- Remove the rocker arms, shafts and holders as an assembly.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures, being sure to install and tighten (in steps) the holder bolts in the reverse order of removal.
Back off valve adjusting screws before installing rockers, then, adjust valves as outlined in Engine Performance and Tune-up .