A preliminary check of the vacuum booster can be made as follows:
- Depress the brake pedal several times using normal pressure. Make sure that the pedal height does not vary.
- Hold the pedal in the depressed position and start the engine. The pedal should drop slightly.
- Hold the pedal in the above position and stop the engine. The pedal should stay in the depressed position for approximately 30 seconds.
- If the pedal does not drop when the engine is started or rises after the engine is stopped, the booster is not functioning properly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the vacuum hose. Mark the hose ends to denote positioning so it can be reinstalled correctly, if hose ends are reversed the booster will not work properly.
- Disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder.
- Remove the brake pedal-to-booster link pin and the booster-to-firewall nuts. The pushrod and nuts are located inside the vehicle on the passenger side, under the dash.
- Remove the booster with the master cylinder attached.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Bleed the brake system.