REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the steering column bolts and lower the column from the instrument panel to expose the ignition switch.
- Remove the steering column housing upper and lower covers.
- Disconnect the ignition switch wiring at the couplers.
- The ignition switch assembly is held onto the column by two shear bolts. Using a drill, remove the screws and the ignition switch.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. You will have to replace the shear bolts with new ones.
On Accords 1982-83 and Preludes 1983, the mechanical part of the switch does not have to be removed to replace the electrical part.
To remove the electrical part or base of the switch, proceed as follows:
- Remove the steering column lower cover.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch.
- Insert the key and turn it to LOCK position.
- Remove the two switch retaining screws and the switch (base) from the rest of the switch.