REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9Tie Rod Ends
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands. Remove the front wheels.
- Use a Ball Joint Remover tool, press the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the tie rod dust seal bellows clamps and move the rubber bellows on the tie rod and rack joints. Disconnect the air tube at the dust seal joint, if so equipped.
- Straighten the tie rod lockwasher tabs at the tie rod-to-rack joint and remove the tie rod by turning it with a wrench. Record the number of turns necessary to remove the assembly.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Install the assembly the correct number of turns. Always use a new tie rod lockwasher during reassembly. Check front end alignment.
Fit the locating lugs into the slots on the rack and bend the outer edge of the washer over the flat part of the rod, after the tie rod nut has been properly tightened.