BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Loosen the brake light switch locknut. Back off the switch until it no longer touches the pedal shaft.
Loosen the locknut on the pedal pushrod (at the top of the pedal); turn the pushrod in or out until the correct pedal height is achieved. When measuring the pedal height, do so with the carpets and floor mats removed. Correct pedal height is:
1984-85 Accord: 7.36 in. (187mm)
- Firmly tighten the locknut on the pushrod.
- Screw in the brake light switch until the plunger is fully depressed. (The threaded end should be touching the pad on the pedal arm.) Back the switch off 1 / 2 turn and tighten the locknut.
- Inspect the brake light function; the lights should come on just after the pedal is pressed and go off when the pedal is released.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheels.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels and drums.
- Turn the adjuster bolt to force the brake shoes out until the brake drum will not easily go on. Back off the adjuster bolt just enough that the brake drum will go on and turn easily.
- Install the wheel; lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Depress the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake. Adjust the parking brake.