The electrical system in your car is designed to perform under reasonable operating conditions without interference between components. Before any additional electrical equipment is installed, it is recommended that you consult your Honda dealer or a reputable repair facility familiar with the vehicle and its systems.
If the vehicle is equipped with mobile radio equipment (CB, HAM, Business radio and/or mobile telephone) it may have an effect upon the operation of the electric fuel injection and other engine systems. Radio frequency interference (RFI) from the communications system can be picked up by the car's wiring harnesses and conducted into the computer, giving it the wrong messages at the wrong time. Although well-shielded against RFI, the controller should be further protected through the following steps:
- Install the antenna as far as possible from the any computer. Since the ECM is located in the passenger compartment, the antenna should be mounted at the rear of the car.
- Keep the antenna wiring a minimum of 8 in. (203mm) away from any wiring running to the computer and from the computer itself. NEVER wind the antenna wire around any other wiring.
- Mount the equipment as far from the computer as possible. Be very careful during installation not to drill through any wires or short a wire harness with a mounting screw.
- Insure that the electrical feed wire(s) to the equipment are properly and tightly connected. Loose connectors can cause interference.
- Make certain that the equipment is properly grounded to the car. Poor grounding can damage expensive equipment.
- Make sure the antenna is "trimmed" or adjusted for optimum function.