The regulator controls the output of the alternator. If the regulator did not limit the voltage output of the alternator, the excessive output could damage components of the electrical system, as well as the alternator or battery.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Carbureted 1984-87 Prelude
See Figure 1
- The external voltage regulator is located on the right front shock tower.
- With the ignition OFF , disconnect the wiring harness and ground connection bolt.
- Unbolt and remove the regulator.
- Reassemble in reverse order.
See Figure 2
This procedure does not apply to the Accord V-6. If the regulator fails on these models, replace the entire alternator assembly.
- Remove the alternator.
- At the back or non-pulley end, remove the nuts, then remove the end cover.
- Remove the insulator from the brush holder.
- Remove the screws securing the brush holder, then remove the holder.
- Remove the bolts holding the regulator and remove the regulator.
- Install the regulator with the retaining screws.
- Install the brush holder.
- Reassemble and reinstall the alternator.