This procedure applies only to the Accord V-6.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the valve and side covers.
- Remove the camshafts.
- Remove the inner rockers arms and pushrods. Be sure to mark them for correct installation later.
- Pull the tappets from their bores in the cylinder head. The lifters must be installed in their original bores. Be sure to mark them for correct installation later.
- Inspect the tappets.
- Pour clean engine oil into the tappet bores, up to the level of the oil path. Also, pour clean engine oil into the fillers on the cylinder head (refer to the illustration).
- Install the hydraulic tappets into the cylinder head. Do not rotate the hydraulic tappet while inserting it into the head.
- Install the pushrods and rocker arms. Be sure to install each part in its original position. Loosen the outer rocker arm adjusting screws and locknuts before installation.
- Install the camshafts.
- Adjust the exhaust rocker arms. Refer to the Rocker Arm procedures in this section.
- Install the side and valve covers.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
See Figures 3 and 4
Never attempt to disassemble the tappets.
- Check the tappets for wear, damage and clogged oil holes. Replace any tappets as necessary.
- Insert a 0.078 in. (2mm) thick brass rod into the tappet. Do not substitute anything else for this rod, as damage to the tappet may result.
- Submerge the tappet in a container filled with clean 10W-30 engine oil.
- Slowly push, then release the rod until there are no more air bubbles coming out of the tappet.
Keep the tappet upright and below the surface of the oil while you push and release the rod.
- Mount a dial indicator onto a surface plate, then position the tappet under the plunger of the indicator. Set the plunger with approximately 0.118 in. (3mm) of preload, then zero the dial indicator.
- Quickly compress the plunger of the tappet by hand. Record the compression stroke as measured by the dial indicator. The stroke should be 0.0004-0.003 in. (0.01-0.008mm). If it is not within specfication, replace the tappet.