REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the tailgate trim panel; this is the small shelf on the inside of the lid.
- Remove the plastic trim at the rear of the headliner.
- On 1984-85 models, remove the taillight covers. On 1986 and later models, remove the hatch trim panel and side moldings.
- Disconnect the wire harness in the hatch lid. Label or identify each connector to ease reassembly. Tie a long piece of string to the end of the wire harness. Slowly and carefully remove the harness from the lid. Leave the string in place to reroute the harness at reassembly.
- Have an assistant secure the hatch. Disconnect the hatch support struts from the lid.
- Disconnect the washer hose from the lid.
- Pull the headliner down enough to allow access to the hinge mounting nuts. Make certain the lid is properly supported; remove the mounting nuts. Remove the hatch lid.
- Position the lid and install the hinge mounting nuts just snug. Adjust the lid fore-and-aft or left-right at the hinges. Install shims as necessary. Check the latching ease and seam match all the way around. When everything is properly aligned, tighten the mounting nuts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm.)
- Install the hatch support struts.
- Install the wiring harness and attach the connectors. Connect the washer hose.
- Reinstall the trim panels.
- Reposition the headliner and install the trim at the roof.
- Install the rear trim panel.