REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the tailgate upper and lower trim panels. The panels are held by both clips and screws.
- Disconnect the washer hose.
- Disconnect the wire harness in the tailgate. Label or identify each connector to ease reassembly. Tie a long piece of string to the end of the wire harness. Slowly and carefully remove the harness from the tailgate. Leave the string in place to reroute the harness at reassembly.
- Have an assistant secure the tailgate. Disconnect the tailgate support struts from the tailgate.
- Remove the bolts securing the tailgate to the hinge. Remove the tailgate. Use care not to damage the roof, headliner or tailgate.
The tailgate is heavy. Be prepared.
- If the hinge must be removed, lower the rear of the headliner enough to allow access to the hinge mounting bolts. Remove the bolts and remove the hinge.
- Install the hinge if it was removed. Tighten the hinge mounting nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm.)
- Position the tailgate and install the mounting bolts. Tighten them just snug.
- Install the tailgate support struts.
- Adjust the position of the hinges and striker as needed to provide matched seams and ease of latching. When the lid is in its final position, tighten the bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm.)
- Install the wiring harness and engage the connectors. Connect the washer hose.
- Install the upper and lower trim panels.