REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure only applies to 1984-89 Accords and 1984-91 Preludes. Later models use an electronic speedometer that receives pulses from a vehicle speed sensor.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument cluster and disconnect the cable at the speedometer. On some models it may be possible to disconnect the cable by reaching under the dash. Some connectors screw onto the back of the speedometer; others are held by plastic clips.
- Disconnect the other end of the speedometer cable at the transaxle housing and pull the cable from its jacket at the transmission end. If you are replacing the cable because it is broken, don't forget to remove both pieces of broken cable.
- Lubricate the new cable with graphite speedometer cable lubricant and feed it into the cable jacket from the lower end.
- Connect the cable to the transaxle, then to the speedometer. Note that both ends of the cable are square; the ends must fit properly in the fittings.
- Install the instrument cluster.