REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Remove the door pad and inner moisture barrier.
- If working on the rear window of a sedan, remove the two upper screws securing the center channel. Remove the two lower bolts (in the door) securing the channel and remove it. On some cars, the two screws are concealed below the weatherstrip.
- For sedan rear doors, remove the quarter glass. The entire glass and rubber seal may be removed as an assembly from the door.
- Lower the door glass until the glass mounting bolts are accessible. One will be easily seen in the large access hole in the door; the other will appear in the smaller, round access hole. Remove the bolts.
- Stand next to the inside of the door. Tilt the door glass and remove it through the slot.
The glass is easily broken; don't force it while removing. Handle it carefully and store it out of the work area in a protected location.
- On front doors, remove the bolts securing the front run channel, then remove the channel.
- Remove the regulator mounting bolts and remove the regulator. On later models, there are additional roller guide bolts to be removed. Mark the roller guide mounting bolts to ease window alignment later.
- For power windows, remove the motor from the regulator if desired.
The regulator gear will move suddenly when the motor is removed due to action of the large spring. Keep hands well clear.
- Inspect the regulator carefully for any sign of damage or binding. Grease all the sliding surfaces of the regulator before installation.
- If equipped with power windows, compress the regulator gear by hand. When in position, install the motor with the collar and mounting bolt.
- Check the position of the breather pipe on power window motors; it must be correctly mounted to keep water out of the motor.
- Install the regulator.
- Install the front door run channel. Tighten the bolts until just snug.
- Fit the glass into position inside the door. Set it loosely on the regulator.
- Adjust the position of the regulator until the glass mounting bolts align with the access holes. On power windows, connect the wiring and operate the window switch briefly to move the regulator.
- Install the glass mounting bolts and tighten until just snug. Operate the window up and down, checking the placement of the glass and the front run channel. Make adjustments as necessary.
- Tighten the front run channel bolts and tighten the glass mounting bolts.
- For sedan rear doors, install the quarter glass and the center channel. Tighten the mounting bolts until snug.
- Double check the operation of the window in all regards. It should move smoothly and evenly, sealing completely when closed.
- Reinstall the liner and door panel.