- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel filler cap.
- On 1985-89 Accords, 1985-91 Preludes and the 1995 V-6 Accord, the pressure release point is at the top of the fuel filter. On other models, the pressure release point is on the fuel rail. Look at the banjo bolt on the fuel filter or rail, as applicable. On top of this bolt is a smaller bolt; this is called the service bolt. Use an open end wrench to hold the banjo bolt and fit a 6mm closed (box end) wrench to the service bolt.
On some models, the service bolt may be covered by a plastic cap, remove this first.
- Place a cloth over the service bolt. Slowly loosen the service bolt one full turn. Fuel will escape the system into the cloth, releasing the system pressure. The cloth is now a flammable item; handle it carefully and dispose of it properly.
- When the fuel system service is completed, install the service bolt using new washers and tighten to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).