REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with an air bag, properly disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), as detailed in Chassis Electrical .
Drain the fluid from the system as follows:
- Disconnect the pump return hose from the reservoir and place the end in a large container. Plug the port in the reservoir.
- Start the engine and allow it to run at fast idle. Turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times, until fluid stops running from the hose. Shut off the engine immediately; don't run the pump without fluid.
- Reattach the hose.
- Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses at the pump. Remove the drive belt.
- Remove the mounting bolts/nuts and remove the pump.
Install in reverse order. Adjust the belt tension, fill the reservoir and bleed the air from the system. Tighten the bolts/nuts to the following:
1984-85 Accord and Prelude pivot bolt 32 ft. lbs. (45 Nm); adjusting nut 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm)
- Properly enable the SRS system, if equipped, and connect the negative battery cable.
- Make sure the reservoir is filled to the FULL mark; do not overfill.
- Start the engine and allow it to idle.
- Turn the steering wheel from side-to-side several times, lightly contacting the stops.
- Turn the engine OFF .
- Check the fluid level in the reservoir and add if necessary.