REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with an air bag, properly disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), as detailed in Chassis Electrical .
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower cover panel. Remove the driver's knee bolster, if equipped.
- Remove the upper and lower column covers.
- Disconnect the wire couplers from the combination switch. Remove the turn signal canceling sleeve and the combination switch.
- Remove the steering joint cover and remove the steering joint bolt(s).
- Disconnect each wire coupler from the fuse box under the left side of the dashboard.
- Remove the steering column retaining brackets.
- Remove the nuts attaching the bending plate guide and bending plate (part of the tilt-wheel assembly), then remove the steering column assembly.
- Fit the column into place and secure the bracket, bending plate and guide. Torque the nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the steering joint bolts and torque to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Connect the wiring at the fuse box.
- Install the switches and connect the wiring.
- Install the knee bolster and steering wheel.
- Properly enable the SRS system, if equipped, and connect the negative battery cable.