REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the cap nuts and remove the wiper arms.
- Remove the air grille or cowl. Use care not to mar the finish. The panels are held by plastic clips; the heads look like screws. Remove the plastic liner or seal below the cowl.
- If the motor has a protective cover, remove it.
- Unplug the wiring connector to the wiper motor.
- On 1984-89 Accords and 1984-91 Preludes, pry the wiper linkage rod off the motor drive arm. The joint is a ball-and-socket type, but can be very stiff to remove.
- On 1990-95 Accords and 1992-95 Preludes, remove the bolts securing the linkage/motor assembly, then remove the assembly from the vehicle. Remove the center nut and washer to disconnect the motor shaft from the linkage.
- Remove the mounting bolts and remove the motor.
- If the linkage is to be removed on 1984-89 Accords and 1984-91 Preludes, disconnect the rods from the wiper pivots. Joints are ball-and-socket and may be carefully pried apart. The pivots are bolted to the firewall and may be unbolted for replacement.
- Reassemble in reverse order. Make certain the linkage is firmly connected to the motor. Tighten the mounting bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). Tighten the center nut on 1990-95 Accords and 1992-95 Preludes to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm). When reinstalling the wiper arms, allow about 1 in. (25mm) of clearance between the base of the windshield and the blade. If the wipers are too far out of position they may slap either the bottom molding or pillar trim when operating.