REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the spark plug wires by twisting side to side and gently pulling. Note or label their location and place aside.
- Starting from the outside and working inward, using a 10mm wrench or socket with an extension and ratchet, remove the fasteners securing the valve cover to the cylinder head.
- If equipped, remove all hoses and brackets.
- Carefully lift the cover off the cylinder head. Use care to not loose the sealing grommets when lifting the cover. Place the cover upright in a clean, protected area. If the cover is stuck onto the cylinder head, using a suitable prytool carefully pry the cover upward at the corners. Move each corner no more than a 1 / 16 inch at a time.
- Thoroughly clean and inspect the gasket surface of the cover and cylinder head. Rubbing alcohol or a suitable brake cleaner works well for this application.
- Inspect the rubber valve cover gasket, the sealing grommets, and the seal around the spark plug holes. If the gasket or seals are brittle, cracked or damaged, replace them. If the old gasket and seals are not worn or damaged they can be reused once cleaned.
To clean the valve cover gasket:
- Apply a liquid, non-hardening gasket sealant, such as Honda sealant part No. 08718-0001 or 08718-0003 to the valve cover side of the spark plug opening seals and press them into the valve cover.
- Install the valve cover gasket securely into the groove in the valve cover.
- Apply a 1 / 2 inch bead of sealant to the corners of the gasket, where the gasket meets the cylinder head and the camshaft journal cap.
Install the grommets if removed, and tighten the valve cover fasteners from the inside out evenly in three steps. For the 2.2L and 3.0L engines, tighten the retainers in the sequence shown in the accompanying figures. Tighten the valve cover fastener, as follows:
- 4-cylinder engines: to 86 inch lbs. (9.8 Nm).
- 2.7L engine: 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm)
- 3.0L engine: 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm)
- The remainder of the assembly procedure is the reverse of the removal sequence.