The manufacturer recommends the use of Honda Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) in their vehicles. The Dexron® III automatic transmission fluid can be substituted temporarily.
The first recommended automatic transaxle fluid change, under normal operating conditions, is 45,000 miles (72,000 km) or 3 years whichever occurs first. Thereafter, the interval is every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or 2 years, whichever occurs first. For severe operating conditions, the interval is every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or 2 years, whichever occurs first.
The level is checked with the vehicle on level ground and the engine hot, but not running. All models use a standard push in dipstick.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean, then reinstall it to its fully seated position.
- Remove the dipstick again, then check the oil level on the stick. The level should be between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick.
- If the fluid level is low, use a funnel to add the proper type and amount of transaxle fluid to bring it to the correct level.
It generally takes less than a pint to bring the fluid level from low into the acceptable range. DO NOT overfill the transaxle! If the fluid level is within specifications, simply push the dipstick back into the filler tube completely.
DRAIN & REFILL
- Drive the vehicle to bring the transaxle fluid up to operating temperatures.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
- Place a fluid catch pan under the transaxle.
- Remove the drain plug, located on the bottom of the transaxle housing, and drain the transaxle.
- Using a new washer, install the drain plug, and then tighten it to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Using Honda Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) or its temporary substitute, Dexron®III automatic transmission fluid, refill the transaxle using a suitable funnel.
DO NOT overfill the transaxle. Be sure that the quantity of fluid added is always slightly less than the specified quantity, due to the remaining fluid left in the transaxle housing recesses.
- Start the engine and allow to idle for at least a minute. With the parking brake set and the brakes depressed, move the gear selector through each position, ending in the Park or Neutral position.
- Check the fluid level and add just enough fluid to bring the level to 1 / 8 inch (3mm) below the ADD mark.
- Allow the engine to fully warm up to normal operating temperature, then check the fluid level. The fluid level should be in the HOT range. If not, add the proper amount of fluid to bring it up to that level. If the fluid level is within specifications, simply push the dipstick back into the filler tube completely.