REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Unbolt the brake hose clamp from the strut.
- Unfasten the damper fork bolts, then remove the damper fork.
- Remove the three strut mounting nuts, then remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Place the strut in vice and install a suitable spring compressor onto the coil spring. Follow the spring compressor manufacturer's instructions.
- Compress the spring and remove the self-locking nut from the top of the strut. Disassemble the strut mounts and remove the coil spring.
The left and right front coil springs on 1996-97 Accords equipped with the 2.2L VTEC (F22B1) engine are not interchangeable. Remember this when ordering parts or reassembling the strut.
- Inspect the strut mounts for wear and damage. Replace any damaged or worn parts.
- While the coil spring is removed, you can test the damper as shown in the accompanying illustration.
Use new self-locking nuts when assembling and installing the struts.
- Install the spring compressor onto the coil spring. Set the spring onto the strut cartridge. The flat part of the coil spring is its top.
- Assemble the strut mount and washer onto the strut. Tighten the self-locking nut to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm). Remove the spring compressor.
- Install the strut into the damper fork. The alignment mark on the strut tube fits into the groove on the damper fork.
- Install the pinch bolt and damper fork bolt. Only hand-tighten these bolts.
- Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
- With all four of the vehicle's wheels on the ground, tighten the damper fork nut to 47 ft. lbs. (65 Nm) while holding the damper fork bolt. Tighten the damper fork pinch bolt to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm). Tighten the strut mounting nuts to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Tighten the wheel nuts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Check and adjust the vehicle's front wheel alignment.