REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Unbolt the brake hose clamp from the strut.
- Unfasten the damper fork bolts, then remove the damper fork.
- Remove the three strut mounting nuts, then remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Place the strut in vice and install a suitable spring compressor onto the coil spring. Follow the spring compressor manufacturer's instructions.
- Compress the spring and remove the self-locking nut from the top of the strut. Disassemble the strut mounts and remove the coil spring.
The left and right front coil springs on 1996-97 Accords equipped with the 2.2L VTEC (F22B1) engine are not interchangeable. Remember this when ordering parts or reassembling the strut.
- Inspect the strut mounts for wear and damage. Replace any damaged or worn parts.
- While the coil spring is removed, you can test the damper as shown in the accompanying illustration.
Use new self-locking nuts when assembling and installing the struts.
- Install the spring compressor onto the coil spring. Set the spring onto the strut cartridge. The flat part of the coil spring is its top.