The ball joint is part of the upper control arm. If the ball joint has failed, the entire control arm assembly must be replaced.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Place a suitable jack under the lower control arm and lift the arm upward 2 inches (50mm).
- Carefully grasp the upper and lower portion of the front tires and attempt to rock back and forth.
If looseness is felt at the upper portion of the tire:
- Remove the tire/wheel assembly and inspect the upper control arm bushings using a suitable prytool to check for looseness. If looseness is felt, replace the upper control arm.
- Using a suitable prytool pry between the steering knuckle and the upper control arm. If looseness is present, replace the control arm assembly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The upper ball joints cannot be replaced separately. If the ball joints become worn or damaged, the upper control arm must be replaced.