The throttle body used on both Accord and Prelude models is a single-barrel side draft design. The lower portion of the throttle body has a coolant passage that is heated by the coolant flowing from the cylinder head. The throttle body is heated to prevent throttle icing and to help stabilize the fuel mixture.
The Throttle Position (TP) sensor and the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor are attached to the throttle body. The TP sensor and the MAP sensor are important input sensors used by the PCM, and based on the information received will affect the ignition timing and fuel mixture.
The idle speed adjusting screw is located toward the top of the throttle body, in a vertical position facing the air inlet of the throttle body. The idle speed screw is used to increase/decrease the bypass air required to achieve the recommended idle speed.
The throttle cable is attached to the throttle body, and should have enough free play such that the cable has 0.39-0.47 inches (10-12mm) of deflection.
The throttle stop screw is located on the side of the throttle body, near the throttle linkage. The throttle stop screw is non-adjustable and MUST NOT be disturbed. The throttle stop screw is set at the factory and usually has a light coat of paint on it to permanently lock it in place. With the throttle in the closed or idle position, if there is clearance between the throttle stop screw and the throttle stop, the throttle body must be replaced.
Replace the throttle body if there is excessive play in the throttle shaft, if the shaft is sticking or binding, or if clearance exists between the throttle stop screw and the throttle stop.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air duct from the throttle body.
- Remove the wiring harness connector from the throttle body.
- Label and detach all vacuum hoses from the throttle body.
- Detach the accelerator cable.
- Detach and plug the coolant hoses from the throttle body.
- Unfasten the throttle body mounting fasteners, then remove the throttle body. Remove and discard the throttle body gasket.
- Using a suitable plastic scraper, remove any gasket material from the throttle body and air intake plenum.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure making sure of the following:
The throttle cable is properly routed, installed, and has 0.39-0.47 inches (10-12mm) of deflection.