REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Place a suitable container/catch pan under the vehicle.
- Loosen the adjusting bolt.
- Break loose the mounting bolts and nuts and remove the power steering belt, or release the tension from the belt auto tensioner and remove the serpentine drive belt.
- Cover the A/C compressor for Accord or alternator for Prelude, with shop rags to prevent any fluid from spilling into it.
Spilling power steering fluid into the alternator assembly can damage the unit.
- Detach the pump inlet and outlet hoses, then plug them to avoid getting debris in the system.
Power steering fluid will destroy your vehicle's paint. Use caution and clean up all spills immediately.
- Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts, then pull the pump from the vehicle.
- Cover the open ends of the pump, with tape, to prevent foreign material from entering the openings.
- Installation is the reverse of removal, noting the following steps and specifications.
Please refer to the following fastener tightening specifications:
Power steering pump mounting bolt(s): 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm)
Make note of the following points:
Make sure all fasteners, hose clamps and fittings are properly installed and tightened.
Always follow the belt manufacturers tension recommendation if you are not using a genuine Honda belt.
- Fill the reservoir to the upper line with Genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid-V or S.
- Run the engine at idle and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times to bleed air from the system and fill the rack valve body.
- Recheck the fluid level and add more if necessary. Don't overfill the reservoir.
- Check the power steering system for leaks.