Steering Control Unit
Honda Fit 2007-2008
- Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the audio system.
- Make sure the ignition switch is OFF, then disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
- Remove the driver's dashboard undercover.
- Remove the under-dash fuse/relay box.
- Disconnect EPS control unit 2-pin connector A, 2-pin connector B, 2-pin connector C, and 28-pin connector D.
- Remove the nuts (E) from the EPS control unit (F).
Remove the EPS control unit.
- Install the EPS control unit in the reverse order of removal.
Tighten the control unit retaining bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
NOTEThe EPS control unit has three 2-pin connectors; make sure they are correctly reconnected. The locations of the three 2-pin connectors are the top: connector C (RED, WHT/RED wires), the middle: connector B (GRN wire), the lower: connector A (BLK, WHT/BLU wires).
Reconnect the negative cable to the battery, and do the following items:
- Enter the anti-theft code for the audio system.
- Set the clock.
- If the EPS control unit is replaced, the EPS control unit must memorize the torque sensor neutral position.
- After installation, start the engine, allow it to idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. Check that the EPS indicator does not come on.
Honda Fit 2007-2008
- Remove the steering gearbox. See -Power Rack and Pinion Steering Gear- below.
- Remove the connector bracket (A).
Remove the EPS motor angle sensor 6-pin connector (B), the EPS motor 1-pin connector (C), the EPS motor 2-pin connector (D), and the clip (E) from the connector bracket.
Remove the heat shield and the EPS motor from the steering gearbox, then remove the O-ring and discard it.
- Clean the mating surface of the EPS motor and the steering gearbox.
- Apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the new O-ring, and carefully fit it on the EPS motor.
- Apply steering gear grease into the EPS motor shaft.
- Install the EPS motor on the steering gearbox by engaging the EPS motor shaft and the worm shaft.
- Before tightening the bolts, turn the EPS motor two or three times to the right and left about 45 degrees. Make sure the EPS motor is evenly seated on the steering gearbox, and that the O-ring is not pinched between the mating surfaces.
- Install the heat shield, and in two or more steps, alternately tighten the three bolts on the steering gearbox to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the EPS motor angle sensor 6-pin connector, the EPS motor 1-pin connector, the EPS motor 2-pin connector, and the clip to the connector bracket.
- Install the connector bracket.
- Finish the installation, make sure the EPS motor and the EPS wires are not caught or pinched by any parts.
- Install the steering gearbox. See -Power Rack and Pinion Steering Gear- below.