Honda Accord 2007-2008
Honda Civic 2007-2008
Honda S2000 2007-2008
- Connect the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to the data link connector (DLC).
- Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
- Make sure the HDS communicates with the vehicle and the engine control module (ECM)/powertrain control module (PCM) If it does not communicate, troubleshoot the DLC circuit.
- Check for DTCs. If a DTC is present, diagnose and repair the cause before continuing with this test.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm with no load (in N or P (A/T model) or neutral (M/T model)) until the radiator fan comes on, and then let it idle.
- Check the idle speed.
Jump the SCS line with the HDS.
NOTEThis step must be done to protect the ECM/PCM from damage.
- Connect the timing light to the service loop (white tape).
- Aim the light toward the pointer on the cam chain case. Check the ignition timing under a no load condition (headlights, blower fan, rear window defogger, and air conditioner are turned off).
- If the ignition timing differs from the specification, check the cam timing. If the cam timing is OK, update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, and then recheck. If the system works properly, and the ECM/PCM was substituted, replace the original ECM/PCM.
- Disconnect the HDS and the timing light.