- Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the audio system.
- Make sure the ignition switch is OFF, then disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
- Remove the driver's airbag assembly and the steering wheel. See -Steering Wheel- below.
- Remove the driver's dashboard undercover.
- Remove the steering joint cover.
- Remove the upper column cover and lower column cover.
- Disconnect the wire harness connectors from the combination switch assembly and cable reel.
- Remove the combination switch assembly from the steering column shaft by removing the three screws.
- Disconnect the connectors from the ignition switch, and release the wire harness clips from the steering column.
- Remove the steering joint bolts, then disconnect the steering joint from the pinion shaft.
- Remove the steering column by removing the attaching nuts and bolts.
Remove the center guide (if equipped), and discard it.
NOTEThe center guide is for factory assembly only.
During installation, note these items:
- Take care not to let the sliding capsules fall out of position during column installation.
- Make sure the wires are not caught or pinched by any parts.
- Center the steering rack within its stroke.
- Adjust the steering column to the full tilt up position.
- Position the steering column and install the retaining nuts to 9.4 ft. lbs. (13 Nm) and bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Attach the steering joint to the pinion shaft and install the bolts.
- Insert the upper end of the steering joint onto the steering shaft, line up the bolt hole with the flat portion on the shaft), and loosely install the upper joint bolt.
Slip the lower end of the steering joint onto the pinion shaft taking care to align the gap within the angle.
- Align the bolt hole on the steering joint with the groove around the pinion shaft, then loosely install the lower joint bolt .
- Pull on the steering joint to make sure that the steering joint is fully seated, then tighten the lower and then the upper joint bolt to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the steering joint cover.
- Install the steering wheel. See -Steering Wheel- below.
- Install the column covers.
- Install the driver's dashboard undercover.
Connect the negative battery cable, and do the following items:
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II); the SRS indicator should come on for about 6 seconds and then go off.
- Enter the anti-theft code for the audio system.
- Set the clock.
- Verify cruise control and turn signal switch operation.
- Make sure the steering wheel is centered.
After installation, do these checks:
- Check the steering wheel spoke angle. If steering spoke angles to the right and left are not equal (steering wheel and rack are not centered), correct the engagement of the joint/pinion shaft serrations.
- Set the steering column to the center tilt position, then do the front toe inspection.