REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 12
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle, refer to the procedures found earlier in this section. Remove the transaxle from the vehicle. Matchmark the flywheel and clutch for reassembly.
- Hold the flywheel ring gear with a tool made for this purpose or an equivalent method of holding the flywheel. Remove the retaining bolts and remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. Remove the bolts two turns at a time working in a crisscross pattern, to prevent warping the pressure plate.
- At this time, inspect the flywheel for wear, cracks or scoring and resurface or replace, as necessary.
- If the clutch release bearing is to be replaced, perform the following procedure:
- Check the release bearing for excessive play by spinning it by hand. Do not wash with solvent as it is packed with grease. Replace if there is excessive play.
- If the flywheel was removed, make sure the flywheel and crankshaft mating surfaces are clean. Align the hole in the flywheel with the crankshaft dowel pin and install the flywheel bolts finger tight. Install the ring gear holder and tighten the flywheel bolts in a crisscross pattern. Tighten the flywheel bolts to 87 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).
- Install the clutch disc and pressure plate by aligning the dowels on the flywheel with the dowel holes in the pressure plate. If the same pressure plate is being installed that was removed, align the marks that were made during the removal procedure. Install the pressure plate bolts finger tight.
- Insert a suitable clutch disc alignment tool into the splined hole in the clutch disc. Tighten the pressure plate bolts in a crisscross pattern two turns at a time to prevent warping the pressure plate. The final torque should be 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Remove the alignment tool and ring gear holder.
- If the release bearing was removed, replace it in the reverse order of the removal procedure. Place a light coat of molybdenum disulfide grease on the inside diameter of the bearing prior to installation.
- Install the transaxle, making sure the mainshaft is properly aligned with the clutch disc splines and the transaxle case is properly aligned with the cylinder block, before tightening the transaxle case bolts.
- Adjust the clutch pedal free-play and connect the negative battery cable.