The distributor is driven directly by the camshaft. The end of the camshaft contains a set of grooves that engage the distributor shaft. These grooves prevent the distributor from being incorrectly installed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 7
- Using masking tape, remove the spark plug wires from the cap and number them for installation as they are removed.
From 1988-onwards, all Honda Civic series models were fuel injected.
- Disconnect the vacuum hoses, the primary wire and the high tension wire. If equipped with fuel injection, remove the four prong connector from the crank angle sensor.
- Remove the hold-down bolt(s) and pull the distributor from the head.
On CRX with fuel injection, there are three bolts.
- Crank the engine until No. 1 piston is at TDC of its compression stroke.
- Using a new O-ring, install it on the distributor housing.
- On the all models, the distributor drive gear remains engaged when the distributor is removed. To install, align the distributor and turn the shaft until the drive locks and the distributor seats in the cylinder head.
- Loosely install the hold-down bolt(s). Tighten the bolt(s) temporarily and replace the cap.
- Connect all wires and hoses.
- Start the engine and adjust the ignition timing.