REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- On some models, it will be necessary to remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the ground cable, the spark plug wires (this will be necessary on the 1988-95 models) and the throttle cable (if necessary) from the cylinder head cover.
- If equipped, remove the PCV hose from the cylinder head cover.
- Remove the cylinder head cover-to-cylinder head nuts, the washer/grommet assemblies and the cylinder head cover. On the 1984-87 models there are 2 or 4 cap screws that hold on the cylinder head cover, on 1988-91 models there are 4 or 6 cap screws, and on 1992-95 models, there are 3 cap screws that hold on the cylinder head cover.
If the cover is difficult to remove, use a rubber mallet or equivalent soft-head hammer to bump it loose.
- Using a gasket scraper or putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- To install, use a new gasket, sealant (if necessary) and reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the rocker arm cover-to-cylinder head nuts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the spark plug wires and reconnect anything removed from the cylinder head arm cover.