REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle. Remove the header pipe nuts or catalytic converter-to-exhaust manifold nuts and separate the pipe from the manifold.
- Disconnect and remove the oxygen sensor (if equipped).
- If equipped, remove the EGR and the air suction tubes from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the exhaust manifold shroud.
- Remove the exhaust manifold bracket bolts.
- Using a crisscross pattern and starting from the center, remove the exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head nuts, the manifold, the gaskets and discard them.
- Using a gasket scraper or sharp putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
Always use new self locking bolts when working on the exhaust manifold.
- To install, use new gaskets and mount the manifold in position. Tighten the exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head nuts (using a crisscross pattern, starting from the center) to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm) and the header pipe-to-exhaust manifold nuts or converter-to-manifold bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm), and the oxygen sensor-to-exhaust manifold to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Tighten the manifold bracket bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) and the manifold shroud bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). Tighten the converter shroud bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Start the engine and check for exhaust leaks.