See Figures 1 and 2
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the radiator hose from the housing neck. Disconnect the heater hoses from the side of the thermostat housing.
- For 1992-95 models: Disconnect the ECT switch coupling and set wires out of the way.
- Remove the housing to engine block bolts.
- Pull the housing off of the water pump inlet tube and away from the engine block.
- Install a new O-ring on the water pump inlet pipe and position the thermostat housing on the pipe.
- Install the thermostat housing retaining bolts and tighten them for 1984-91 models to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm), and tighten housing bolts for 1992-95 models to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the hoses and fill the cooling system.
- For 1992-95 models: Reconnect the ECT switch coupling. If the switch was removed, replace with a new O-ring and tighten to 16-19 ft. lbs. (22-26 Nm).
- Run the engine and bleed the cooling system.