The thermostat is located in a housing at the end of the water pump inlet pipe. The housing is on the fire wall side of the engine. The thermostat can be removed without removing the housing from the engine.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the radiator hose from the thermostat housing outlet.
- Remove the thermostat housing outlet and remove the thermostat.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Use new gaskets and O-rings. Install the thermostat with the pin towards the thermostat housing outlet. Tighten the thermostat housing outlet bolts for 1984-91 models to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm), and tighten housing bolts for 1992-95 models to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Fill and bleed the cooling system.