On the Civic manual transaxles, use an engine oil labeled for SG use or better. Use 10W-30 or 10W-40 viscosity; the 10W-40 viscosity is the safer recommendation, especially if you expect to be driving at highway speeds for prolonged periods in hot weather.
- Remove the oil level check bolt from the side of the transaxle. If oil runs out, the level is ok. Retighten the bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- If the level was not ok, loosen the filler plug and pour oil in slowly until it begins to run out the level check bolt. Tighten the bolt and filler plug to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
DRAIN AND REFILL
See Figures 1 and 2
The transaxle fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles (48,300 km).
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
- Place a fluid catch pan under the transaxle.
- Remove the upper and lower plugs, then drain the fluid.
- Using a new washer, install the bottom plug tightening to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Refill the transaxle, until the oil is level with the upper filler plug hole. Install the filler plug and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
Be sure to properly dispose of any waste oil from the transmission.