Check ball joint play as follows:
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Using a dial indicator clamp it onto the lower control arm and place the indicator tip on the steering knuckle, near the ball joint.
- Using a prybar, place it between the lower control arm and the steering knuckle.
- Work the ball joint to check for looseness; if the play exceeds 0.2 in. (0.5 mm), replace the ball joint.
- Remove the screw plug from the bottom of the ball joint and install a grease nipple.
- Lubricate the ball joint with NLGI No. 2 multipurpose type grease.
- Remove the nipple and reinstall the screw plug.
- Repeat for the other ball joint.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the steering knuckle.
- Pry off the snapring and remove the boot.
- Remove the circlip.
- Install a suitable ball joint remover/installer 07965-SB00100, or equivalent, on the ball joint and tighten the ball joint nut.
- Position ball joint remover base 07JAF-SH20200 or equivalent, over the ball joint and then set the assembly in a suitable vise. Press the ball joint out of the knuckle.
- Place the ball joint in position by hand.
- Install a ball joint remover/installer 07965-SB00100 or suitable equivalent, and ball joint installer base 07965-SB00200 or equivalent, over the ball joint and position in a suitable vise. Press the ball joint in.
- Install the steering knuckle.