The thermostat switch is mounted at the evaporator core outlet and senses the temperature of the cool air coming through the evaporator.
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect and remove the thermostat.
- Place the thermostat capillary tube in ice water.
- Check that there is no continuity below 31-35°F (0.5-1.5°C).
- Check that there is continuity above 36-41°F (2.5-5.0°C).
- If not within specification, replace the thermostat.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the SRS system (if equipped.)
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system into a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine.
- Remove the evaporator assembly.
- Separate the assembly.
- Remove the thermostat switch.
- Install the switch in position and install the evaporator assembly.
- Charge the air conditioning system and check its operation.