This unit is so named because it compresses the refrigerant and then forces it through the condenser. Honda Civic models built between 1984-87 were equipped with a compressor supplied by one of two original equipment manufacturers: Keihin or Sanden. Air conditioned models built between 1988-91 came equipped with either a Matsushita or Sanden compressor. Models from 1992-95 are equipped with the same model compressor.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- If the compressor is marginally operable, run the engine at idle speed and let the air conditioning work a few minutes.
- Shut the engine off and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system into a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine.
- Disconnect the clutch wire connector.
- If equipped with power steering, loosen the power steering pump adjusting bolt and remove the belt.
- Remove the power steering pump attaching bolts and remove the pump from its mount. It can be set aside without disconnecting the hoses.
- Disconnect and plug the compressor refrigerant lines.
- Loosen the compressor attaching bolts and loosen the adjuster bolt and locknut.
On 1984-87 models, it may be necessary to raise the vehicle and remove the lower splash shield before being able to get at the compressor bolts.
- Remove the compressor belt.
- Remove the compressor attaching bolts and the compressor. The compressor can be laid on the front beam.
- Remove the compressor mounting bracket bolts and remove the bracket and compressor from the engine compartment.
- Install the compressor and bracket into the engine compartment, if a new compressor is being installed, the proper amount of refrigerant oil must be added to the compressor. This can be determined by carefully measuring the amount of oil that can be drained from the old compressor and deducting that from the system total capacity of 5 ounces (120cc ) for 1984-91 models, or 4 ounces (120 cc) for 1992-95 models.
- Install the compressor mounting bracket and bolts, tighten the bolts to 35 ft. lbs (48 Nm). Install the compressor on the bracket and tighten the compressor mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install a new compressor belt and tension it to the proper specifications (see Routine Maintenance under "Belts").
- Connect the hoses to the compressor and tighten them to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
Replace O-rings with new ones at the pipe joints, and apply a thin coat of refrigerant oil before installing them
- Reposition the power steering pump, if equipped, and install the power steering belt.
- Reconnect all of the wires and connect the negative battery cable. Properly charge the air conditioning system and check its operation.