REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the SRS system (if equipped.) On 1992-95 models, also disconnect the positive battery cable and remove the battery.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system into a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine.
- Disconnect and plug the refrigerant receiver and suction lines at the evaporator.
- Remove the glove box and support brackets.
- Loosen and remove the evaporator securing bands.
Some earlier models do not use bands to secure the evaporator case, only 2 bolts were used.
- Disconnect the air conditioner thermo-switch wire connector.
- Remove the evaporator securing bolts and nuts.
- Disconnect the drain hose and remove the evaporator assembly.
- Remove the evaporator case attaching clips and screws.
- Separate the case halves and remove the evaporator.
- Separate the expansion valve from the evaporator.
- Connect the expansion valve to the evaporator assembly.
- Install the evaporator assembly into the case halves.
- Secure the evaporator case assembly together.
- Install the evaporator assembly and connect drain hose.
- Connect the thermo-switch wire connector.
- Install the evaporator housing securing bands.
- Install the glove box assembly.
- Reconnect the refrigerant lines at the evaporator. Tighten the suction hose to the evaporator for 1984-91 models to 23 ft. lbs. (32 Nm) and for 1992-95 models to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). Tighten the receiver pipe for 1984-91 models to 12 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) and for 1992-95 models to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Charge, evacuate and leak test the air conditioning system.