This is a dual pressure switch which turns the magnetic clutch on or off as a result of irregularly high or low pressures. The pressure switch is located at the receiver/drier or condenser.
- Disconnect the pressure switch wire connector from the receiver/drier or from the high pressure line.
- Start the vehicle and turn the air conditioner ON.
- Hook up a set of manifold gauges.
- Check for 12 volts at the pressure switch wire connector.
- If there is no voltage at either terminal of wire connector, check the air conditioner relay.
- Connect a jumper wire between the two terminals.
- Check that the compressor clutch engages.
- If the compressor magnetic clutch fails to operate check the magnetic clutch and the wiring.
- Check for continuity through the switch using an ohmmeter.
- At system normal operating pressures and the high side pressure between 33-340 psi (228-2345kpa), there should be continuity through the switch.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system into a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine.
- If required, remove radiator grille.
- Using two wrenches, remove the pressure switch.
- Installation is the reverse of removal procedure.