See Figures 1 through 5
This procedure requires a propane enrichment kit.
- Place the vehicle in the P or N position. Apply the emergency brake and block the drive wheels. Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature. The cooling fan should come on at least once.
- Remove the No. 8 vacuum hose (refer to Emission Controls for vacuum diagrams from the intake air control diaphragm and clamp the hose end.
- Connect a suitable tachometer to the engine following the manufacturers instructions.
- Check the idle speed with all the accessories turned off. Adjust the idle speed by turning the throttle stop screw, if necessary.
- Disconnect the air cleaner intake tube from the air duct on the radiator bulkhead.
- Insert the hose from the propane kit into the intake tube approximately 4 in. (102mm).
Be sure that the propane bottle has an adequate supply of gas before going any further with this procedure.
- With the engine idling, depress the push button on top of the propane device, then slowly open the propane control valve to obtain the maximum engine speed. The engine speed should increase as the percentage of propane injected goes up.
Open the propane control valve slowly, because a sudden burst of propane may cause the engine to stall.
The engine idle speed should increase as follows:
1984-88 Civic 1342cc and 1488cc HF engine with manual transmission-100-150 rpm.
- If the engine speed increases according to specifications, remove the propane kit, all test equipment and reconnect all disconnected vacuum hoses. If the engine speed fails to increase as specified, go on with the following steps.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose to the fast idle unloader. Pull the throttle cable out of the bracket.
- Remove the carburetor (refer to Fuel System ).
- Remove the throttle controller bracket. Remove the mixture adjusting screw hole cap from the throttle controller bracket, then reinstall the bracket.
- Reinstall the carburetor, reconnect the vacuum hose to the fast idle unloader. Reinstall the air cleaner.
- Start the engine and let it warm up to normal operating temperature. Allow the cooling fan to come on at least once.
- Remove the vacuum hose from the intake air control diaphragm and clamp the hose end. Reinstall the propane enrichment kit and recheck the maximum propane enrichment rpm.
- If the propane enriched speed is to low, the mixture is rich. Turn the mixture screw a 1 / 4 turn clockwise and recheck.
- If the propane enriched speed is to high, the mixture is lean. Turn the mixture screw a 1 / 4 turn counterclockwise and recheck.
- Close the propane control valve. Run the engine at 2500 rpm for 10 seconds to stabilize the idle condition. Recheck the idle speed.
- If the engine speed is set to specifications, remove the propane enrichment kit, all test equipment and reconnect all vacuum hoses and the air cleaner intake tube.
- If the engine speed is not set to specifications, reset the idle speed, then repeat the enrichment steps.
- Reinstall the mixture adjusting screw hole cap.