REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 11984-87 4WD Civic Wagon
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle.
- Drain the differential oil into a suitable container by removing the drain plug.
- Disconnect the driveshaft from the companion flange.
- Remove the axle shafts, the procedure can be found eralier in this section.
- Remove the differential carrier retaining bolts from the axle housing.
- Remove the carrier from the axle housing, you may have to loosen it with a soft mallet.
- Install the carrier in position and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the axle shafts and connect the driveshaft to the companion flange.
- Fill the differential with the correct amount of oil, that is until it just starts to come out of the filler plug hole (refer to Routine Maintenance ).
- Lower the vehicle.
See Figure 2
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the oil from the differential and replace the drain bolt.
- Remove the driveshaft and the right and left rear halfshafts.
- Remove the differential mounting bolts from the lower differential mounting bracket.
- Remove the two bolts from the upper differential bracket and remove the differential and bracket as an assembly.
- Remove the upper differential bracket from the differential and remove the differential carrier from the differential housing.
- Clean the mating surfaces of the differential carrier and differential housing.
- Apply sealant to the mating surfaces and install the carrier to the housing, aligning the dowel pin. Apply sealant to the bolt threads and tighten them to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the differential bracket on the differential and tighten the bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Install the differential and upper bracket and tighten the upper bracket bolts to 43 ft. lbs. (59 Nm).
- Install and tighten the lower differential bracket bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Installation of the remainder of the components is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Fill the differential with the correct amount of oil. Please refer to Routine Maintenance .