REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1984-87 Civic Wagon 4WD
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Raise the rear of the car and support it securely on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly, then remove the brake drum.
- Disconnect and plug the brake line from the brake cylinder.
- Remove the brake shoes and the parking brake cable.
- Remove the axle shaft retainer 10mm self-locking nuts.
- Using a slide hammer, pull the axle shaft from the axle housing.
- Remove the axle seal from the axle housing.
- Grind the bearing retainer on the axle down until it's about 0.02 in. (0.5mm) thick.
Be careful not to damage the axle during these procedures.
- Place the axle in a vise, and split the bearing retainer using a chisel and hammer.
- Place the axle and bearing in a hydraulic press with the appropriate adapters and press the bearing off the axle.
- Drive a new seal into the rear axle housing.
- Coat the sealing lip of the oil seal with grease.
- Thoroughly clean the axle shaft; install the axle retainer, the bearing and the bearing retainer on the axle.
DO NOT oil or grease the contact surfaces of the axle, bearing or the bearing retainer. The projected end of the bearing race must face outward.
- Using the appropriate adapters and a hydraulic press, press the new bearing onto the axle shaft.
Measure the following dimensions:
- The width of the axle bearing outer race.
- The thickness of the backing plate.
- The depth from the edge of the axle housing to the bearing seating surface.
- Using the above measurements calculate the correct shim thickness using the following formula: a-(b+c) = X.
- Apply a thin coat of sealant to the backing plate face of the shim.
- Apply a thin coat of sealant to the axle retainer contacting the face of the shim.
- Push the axle into the axle housing aligning its splines with the differential side gear splines.
Before installing the axle, coat the inner corner of the bearing housing seat with sealant.
- Using a slide hammer with the appropriate adapters install the axle into the axle housing.
- Install and tighten the bolts on the axle retainer. Tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the brake shoes and the parking brake cable.
- Reconnect the brake line to the wheel cylinder.
- Install the brake drum and bleed the brakes.
- Install the wheel and lower the car to the ground.