REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 8
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies and the brake drums.
A spray-type brake cleaning fluid allows a cleaner job and may be necessary to remove brake dust and leaking fluid that has accumulated on the brake assembly.
- Remove the tension pins by pushing the retainer spring and turning them.
- Lower the brake shoe assembly and remove the lower return spring.
- Remove the brake shoe assembly.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the lever.
- Remove the upper return spring, self-adjuster lever and self-adjuster spring. Separate the brake shoes.
- Remove the wave washer, parking brake lever and pivot pin from the brake shoe by removing the U-clip.
- Apply brake cylinder grease to the sliding surface of the pivot pin and insert the pin into the brake shoe.
- Install the parking brake lever and wave washer on the pivot pin and secure with the U-clip.
Pinch the U-clip securely to prevent the pivot pin from coming out of the brake shoe.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever.
- Apply grease on each sliding surface of the brake backing plate.
Do not allow grease to come in contact with the brake linings. Grease will contaminate the linings and reduce stopping power.
- Clean the threaded portions of the clevis of the adjuster bolt. Coat the threads with grease. Turn the adjuster bolt to shorten the clevis.
- Hook the adjuster spring to the adjuster lever first, then to the brake shoe.
- Install the adjuster bolt/clevis assembly and the upper return spring.
- Install the brake shoes to the backing plate.
- Install the lower return spring, the tension pins and retaining springs.
- Turn the adjuster bolt to force the brake shoes out until the brake drum will not easily go on. Back off the adjuster bolt just enough that the brake drum will go on and turn easily.
- Install the wheel and tire assemblies and lower the vehicle.
- Depress the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake. Adjust the parking brake.