REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Drain the fluid from the system as follows:
- Disconnect the cooler return hose from the reservoir and place the end in a large container.
- Start the engine and allow it to run at fast idle. Turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times, until fluid stops running from the hose. Shut off the engine and discard the fluid.
- Reattach the hose on all vehicles with a separate reservoir.
- Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses at the pump. Remove the drive belt.
- Remove the bolts and remove the pump.
- Connect the inlet and outlet hoses securely to the pump fittings.
- Install the pump loosely in the pump bracket with mounting bolts.
- Install the pump belt.
- Tighten the fixed mounting bolt to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm) and the adjusting bolt to 17 ft. lbs (24 Nm). Tighten the fluid line connection to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm).
- Adjust the belt tension, fill the reservoir and bleed the air from the system.
System capacity for 1988-91 models is 1.3 U.S. qts. (1.2 L). System capacity for 1992-95 models is 1.16 U.S. qts. (1.1 L). Reserve capacity is 0.4 U.S. qts. (0.4 L).
- Push on the belt mid-way between the pulleys with a force of about 22 lbs. (10 kg) The belt deflection should be 0.31-0.47 in. (8-12mm).
- If belt deflection is not as specified, adjust as follows: Loosen the pump pivot bolt and the adjusting nut or bolt. Pry the pump away from the engine to get the proper tension. Tighten the pivot bolt to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm). Tighten the adjusting nut or bolt to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Make sure the reservoir is filled to the full mark.
- Start the engine and allow it to idle.
- Turn the steering wheel from side to side several times, lightly contacting the stops.
- Turn the engine OFF .
- Check the fluid level in the reservoir and add if necessary.