REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
SRS (airbag) harnesses are normally covered with a yellow insulation. See Chassis Electrical for safety precautions. Avoid hitting the wheel or the shaft with excessive force, as damage to the shaft could result.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If working on a 1992-95 model, also disconnect the positive cable and wait at least three minutes
- Remove the steering wheel according to the procedure found earlier in this section.
- Remove the lower cover panel. Remove the driver's knee bolster, if equipped.
- Remove the upper and lower column covers.
- If equipped with SRS, remove the connector holder and disconnect the SRS main harness from the cable reel wire harness and remove the cable.
- Disconnect the wire couplers from the combination switch. Remove the turn signal canceling sleeve and the combination switch.
- Remove the steering joint cover and remove the steering joint bolt(s).
- Disconnect each wire coupler from the fuse box under the left side of the dashboard.
- Remove the steering column retaining brackets.
- Remove the nuts attaching the bending plate guide and bending plate and remove the steering column assembly.
- Fit the column into place and secure the bracket, bending plate and guide. Tighten the nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the steering joint bolts and tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Connect the wiring at the fuse box.
- Install the switches and connect the wiring.
- Install the knee bolster and steering wheel following all procedures, especially for SRS equipped models.