REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Tie Rod Ends
See Figures 1 through 5
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands. Remove the front wheels.
- Using a Ball Joint Remover tool, press the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
If you have to remove the tie rod end as well, loosen the locking nut before removing the tie rod. Do not do so unless necessary, however, because tie-rod adjustment is one of the factors affecting front-end alignment.
- Remove the tie rod dust seal bellows clamps and move the rubber bellows on the tie rod and rack joints. Disconnect the air tube, if equipped, at the dust seal joint.
- Straighten the tie rod lockwasher tabs at the tie rod-to-rack joint and remove the tie rod by turning it with a wrench.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Always use a new tie rod lockwasher during reassembly. Tighten the castle nut to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
Fit the locating lugs into the slots on the rack and bend the outer edge of the washer over the flat part of the rod, after the tie rod nut has been properly tightened.