REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Using a small prybar, lift the pad from the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Gently hit the backside of each of the steering wheel spokes with equal force from the palms of your hands.
- To install, position the wheel assembly. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel pad.
See Figures 2 and 3
Make sure you have the 5-digit radio security "CODE" before disconnecting the battery.
- To connect the driver's side short connector, first disconnect the battery negative cable, then the positive cable, then wait a minimum of three minutes.
- Fasten together the (red) short connectors for the driver's side by removing the steering wheel access panel and removing the red short connectors from the panel. Then disconnect the 3-pin connector between the driver's airbag and cable reel and attach the short connector to the airbag side of the connector.
- Once the short connectors are in place, begin to remove the steering wheel by removing lid B and the cruise control set/resume switch cover.
- Unfasten the Torx® T30 bit bolts and remove the driver's airbag assembly.
- Detach the electrical connectors from the horn and cruise control switch, remove the steering wheel nut and remove the wheel by gently rocking it from side-to-side as you pull the wheel towards you with with both hands.
- Make sure that the driver's airbag assembly is properly attached and the cable reel is centered.
- To do so, first rotate the cable reel clockwise until it stops, then rotate it counterclockwise (about two turns) until
- Install the steering wheel and attach the nut, tightening it to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm.).
Make sure the cable reel and canceling sleeve are properly engaged on the steering wheel shaft.
- Reconnect the horn and cruise control switch.
- Using new Torx® bolts, install the airbag assembly.
- Unfasten the short connector, attach it to the access panel and install the access panel on the steering lower cover.