REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Unplug the reverse light switch.
- Remove the 5th gear housing.
- Remove the spring pin from the 5th gear shift fork using a 5mm punch.
- Remove the bearing, shift fork, 5th synchro sleeve, synchro hub, 5th gear and needle bearing from the mainshaft.
If replacing the bearing, make sure the snapring in the end cover is correct for the new bearing. Check as follows:
- Thoroughly clean the surface of the transaxle case.
- Reinstall the synchro hub and bearing to the mainshaft.
- Measure the distance between the top of the bearing outer race and the end cover mounting flange. Measure at two points and average the results.
- Remove the snapring and spring washer (1984-85 vehicle) or oil guide plate (1986-87 vehicle) from the end cover.
- Place a straight edge on the end cover and measure the depth of the snapring thrust shim installation hole. Measure at 2 points and average the results. Make sure to subtract the thickness of the straight edge from the reading.
- Subtract the bearing height (6c) from the depth of the end cover (6e).
- For 1984-85 vehicles, select the correct snapring by subtracting the standard spring washer free height (0.0330 in./0.850mm) from the answer in 6f.
- For 1986-87 vehicles, select the correct snapring by subtracting the standard clearance (0.0055 in./0145mm) from the answer in 6f.
- Selective snaprings are available in 0.0010 in. (0.025mm) increment sizes from 0.0430-0.0620 in. (1.100-1.575mm) in addition to 0.0196 in. (0.500mm).
A maximum of two snaprings may be used to attain the proper snapring thickness.
- Install the spring washer or oil guide plate and selected snapring into the end cover.
- Install the needle bearing, 5th gear, synchro hub, 5th synchro sleeve, shift fork and bearing to the mainshaft.
- Install the roll pin to the 5th gear shift fork.
- Clean the mating surfaces of the case and the end cover. Apply sealant, (part number 08740-99986 or equivalent) to the end cover and install.
- Tighten the bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Plug the reverse light connector in and fill the transaxle to the proper level.